Best Online Baccarat Casino in 2023
Baccarat is one of the easiest games to learn in a casino. It has some resemblance to blackjack, but does not require any decision making after the bet. Thus, it takes just a few minutes to learn. On this page, we will take you through the mechanics of the game, give you a few tips on how to play baccarat safely in your country, and give you the option to play online baccarat for free before you give our recommended real money online baccarat sites a try.
Play Baccarat for Free
If you are new to baccarat, there is no better way to learn the game than to try our free version of online baccarat. It is play-money only, so there is no risk at all. And even if you do know how to play baccarat, starting with free baccarat online can let you get used to the mechanics of playing the game on the computer.
How to Play Baccarat Online
Baccarat is one of the easiest table games to play at an online casino. After placing your bet, there are no more decisions to make. You can learn the game in just a few minutes.
- Select Your Game – navigate to the table games in the online casino lobby. Many casinos will have more than one version of baccarat. We suggest choosing a standard baccarat game, rather than the “no commission” variety, as the odds and house edge we cite later correspond to regular baccarat.
- Adjust Your Stakes – after the game loads, you can increase or decrease your bets. Don’t worry if you make a mistake. You can always clear your bets.
- Place Your Bets – in baccarat, you bet on either the Player, Banker, or a Tie. The Player and Banker do not correspond to you or the house – they are just names for the two hands that are dealt. You can freely bet on either one. After you place your bet and hit the “Deal” button, the dealer deals two cards to each hand. The winner is the hand whose cards add up closest to 9.
- Cards 2 through 9 count as face value, Aces count as 1, and Tens through Kings count as 0.
- If the Player or Banker is dealt a total of 8 or 9 right off the bat, that’s an automatic winner, called a “natural.”
- If the cards add up to more than 9, the first digit is dropped and the second digit is the resulting value of the hand (ex: 6 + 8 = 14, drop the 1 to end up with a value of 4).
- If the Player has a total of 5 or less, the Player will be dealt one more card. If the Player stands (is not dealt one more card), the Banker will take another card if the Banker’s hand is 5 or less.
- There are other scenarios for the Banker taking another card if the Banker’s hand is more than 5 based on what third card the Player draws, but we won’t worry about those right now. The dealer does everything, so it is not important for our purposes at the moment. You can always check the game rules while you play to review everything. The important thing is which hand ends up closest to 9 in the end.
- Payouts Are Made – If you bet on the hand that ends up with the higher total, regardless of which hand it is, you win! A winning Player bet pays out 1/1 (ex: you bet $10, you profit $10). A winning Banker bet also pays out 1/1, but the casino takes a 5% commission, effectively making it a 19/20 payout. The reason for this is that the Banker has an advantage, always acting second. A winning Tie bet pays 8/1, but more on that later.
- Go Again – If you want to play another hand, you can clear your bets and start over, simply press the “Re-Bet” button to make the exact same bet you just made, or even click the button that doubles your previous bet. If you want to quit, just close the window and the money you had at the table will automatically be put into your account.
Quick Tips for Baccarat Strategy
This is going to be a short section. There is not much strategy involved with online baccarat. Ignore someone who pushes some complex “winning” betting system. There are three main things to remember:
Always bet on the banker – the house edge on a banker bet is 1.06% even with the 5% commission. The house edge on the player bet is 1.24%. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s a difference nonetheless. Bet on the banker. It’s boring, but it’s the strategy that will give you the best chance to win. The probability of the Banker’s hand winning is 45.86%, while the Player’s hand probability is 44.62%.
Don’t bet on a tie – sure, it pays 8/1, but the house edge is 14.4%. It’s a terrible bet. The probability of a Tie is 9.52%.
Don’t bite on the side bets – similar to the above, the payouts just aren’t worth the house edge.
Additionally, keep track of your bankroll. Only gamble with money that you can afford to lose. When at the online baccarat table, we advise you to not bet more than 5% of your baccarat bankroll at any one time. It gives you cushion should you have a rough go for a while, but it’s enough where the winnings can still add up.
There are three standard bet types in baccarat. Let’s take a quick look at each.
Banker – a bet on the “Banker’s” hand, designated by the space on the table where the bet is placed. It pays out 19/20 (1/1 minus a 5% house commission) and has a 1.06% house edge.
Player – a bet on the “Player’s” hand, also designated by where the bet is placed. It pays out 1/1 and has a 1.24% house edge.
Tie – a bet that the values of both the banker’s and player’s hand will be the same. In online baccarat, it pays 8/1 and has a 14.4% house edge.
Beyond the three basic bets, there are other bets, called “side bets,” that can be made. They vary from casino to casino.
The two initial cards dealt to the Player make a pair. Payout is 11/1. House edge is 11.25%.
The two initial cards dealt to the Banker make a pair. Payout is 11/1. House edge is 11.25%.
The first two cards dealt to either the Player or Banker are identical. Same value, same suit. Payout is 25/1. House edge is 17.07%.
The first two cards dealt to either the Player or Banker make a pair. Payout is 5/1. House edge is 14.54%.
The total number of cards dealt in the game is 4. Payout is 1.5/1. House edge is 5.27%.
The total number of cards dealt in the game is 5 or 6. Payout is 0.54/1. House edge is 4.35%.
Use the bonus codes below to claim up to $1,000!
Your extra cash is playable on ALL of our games.